The early German settlers of the Rockwell area arrived in the 1760s, although the town was not incorporated until 1911. Two of the original stone churches that were built in the fledgling community remain as examples of the day’s fine craftsmanship. In fact, Organ Lutheran Church is distinguished as the oldest Lutheran structure in North Carolina. The name of Rockwell was derived from the “rock well” that served local residents and ensured a refreshing drink to weary travelers. Even today, the Rockwell community is proud of its eight wells and the quality of the water they provide. The tranquility and small-town intimacy of rural living in Rockwell is enhanced by easy access to Rowan County’s exceptional cultural and recreational amenities. For professional sports and world-class metropolitan attractions, the bright lights of Charlotte are available within a reasonable commute.